Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Apples are in Season!

lapple
 Dear Diary,
 
It was a nice day so two friends, my husband and I decided to make our way to a pumpkin patch to take pictures of Layla.  We ended up finding a great apple orchard basically in our own backyard!  We took a short hayride to the apple orchards then walked down to the pumpkin patch.  Luckily, we were the only group there so we were able to take great pictures with an awesome background. Then it was off to the rows and rows of apple trees.  Where to begin?  My husband was told it was okay to try the apples before adding them to our bag, so he had over 20 apples by time our bag was full.  kappleWe picked a peck of them all the while I was thinking... 'we never eat apples, what are we going to do with 20 pounds of them?!?!'. After two hours was over we had a peck of apples and a small pumpkin. I realized I had to think quick about what we were going to do with all the apples before they went bad in a week or two.  My husband had mentioned that he wanted apple crisp.  I was nervous because 1. I had never made apple crisp before and 2. I don't recall ever having it. Is it a pie? Is it like a cupcake? I had no idea. The internet had LOTS of recipes. So I went with the most basic and here is your lesson:
Recipe:

ac1




  • 8 cups of sliced, peeled apples (tart ones, I recommend Granny Smith)

  • 3/4 cup sugar

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 1/8 teaspoon salt (also known as a 'pinch')


Topping:



  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1/4 teaspoon backing powder

  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda ('pinch')

  • 3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine

  • Vanilla Ice Cream (optional but highly recommended!!)


Directions:

core

1.In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients then add them to a GREASED pan. ( 8 x 8 size is recommended but I made it in a regular casserole dish) I had that awesome apple contraption... if you don't have one, I think you should get one! they are awesome!!

ac2

2.Combine the remaining ingredients into a bowl. The final texture of the outcome has to be a course oat look.

Sprinkle evenly over the apples.

ac3

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!

4. Send us pictures and tell us how amazing your Apple Crisp turned out!



1 comment: